We are Sanctuary Supporting!
A special congregational meeting was called by the Salem council in June to entertain and vote on the motion brought to each of the SpringHouse congregations from the Sanctuary Task Force. The task force had been meeting for several months helping us to discern if we were prepared to become a “sanctuary congregation”, a “sanctuary supporting congregation”, or neither. Their discernment brought them to a place where they recommended that all of SpringHouse becoming “sanctuary supporting.”
The result of Salem’s congregational vote was a resounding “yes”. First Christian and Lyndale also voted “yes” in their congregational votes. This means that SpringHouse and all of its congregations are officially “sanctuary supporting” congregations.
By Sanctuary-supporting we mean that we will provide material, spiritual and emotional support to a partner congregation that has voted to be sanctuary should the need arise. Additionally, this will be a public stance.
In addition, the SpringHouse Sanctuary Task Force will continue to meet for 4-6 months and is exploring additional ways for SpringHouse and its member churches to witness to immigrant justice through a solidarity lens. In particular, each congregation is exploring its denomination’s “Immigrant Welcoming” processes and other avenues to act in solidarity with immigrants and immigrant families facing the significant consequences of the current immigration policies in the US.
SpringHouse Adult Faith Formation–Join Us, It’s Fun!
Join us for our last few sessions of our Darkwood Brew “Be@titudes” series. We will meet at 9:30 am each Sunday in the gathering space to join in “A revolutionary exploration of the Beatitudes, some of Jesus’ most often quoted – and misunderstood – teachings.
During the last few weeks of August – as summer winds down and we finish this Darkwood Brew series – join us for 2 weeks of special conversations:
- Sunday August 13: We will gather around our Seasons of Giving Refugee Sunday and hear more about Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services and the world they do.
- Sunday August 20: No Adult Faith Formation due to Worship in the Park
- Sunday August 27: We will hold Salem Conversations and invite you to come join the conversation about all things Salem.
Here is what you need to know about this Sunday morning group:
- No experience is necessary! This is a casual and fun group of adults simply entering into conversation about God in our lives.
- Come as you can! You do not have to attend every week to be part of the conversation. There are people who come almost every week but we also have people come only as they can. Each week is independent enough that we welcome all whenever they want to join the discussion.
- We have treats!
- Those who have been part of the discussions over the summer have found it to be relevant, meaningful, and FUN!
We hope to see lots of you on Sundays!
National Night Out with our Neighbors!
We are joining forces with the neighborhood for National Night Out! Salem contacted the block captain and we have committed to bringing and grilling hot dogs and burgers on Garfield for the neighborhood block party on Tuesday August 1. What an amazing chance to meet and greet the people closest to us!
We are looking for people to help be a presence that evening from 5-6 pm for set up and from 6–9 pm for the actual event. We need people to help set up, grill, serve, and just have great conversation. Plan to join us for a great evening on the block!
Sign up in the back of the sanctuary or by contacting Pastor Rhonda or Shannon Fast. Don’t miss this chance to be a great neighbor.
On Sundays Salem offers two worship options – Traditional Worship and Jazz Worship. These two worship services are connected by Sunday School and Youth Group, as well as Adult Ed. Child care is available throughout. Full schedule >
Salem’s home is the SpringHouse Ministry Center, a shared, sustainable facility that anchors three churches with distinct identities and rich histories. Salem shares SpringHouse Ministry Center with partner congregations Lyndale United Church of Christ and First Christian Church. Learn more >